Sunday, October 21, 2007

paper vs. plastic

There has always been a great debate over whether it is better for the environment to use paper or plastic bags. I'm going to give you my opinion... Neither are better, use cloth!!! Yes, I am one of those girls who goes to Whole Foods with my cloth re-usable bags. Sometimes I wonder whether it is worth it, but today I read a disturbing statistic that reassures me in my bag decision making.

In the latest WOMEN'S HEALTH magazine, it is stated that "satellite images show a floating patch of garbage in the middle of the Pacific Ocean that's twice the size of Texas." It has been proven that most of the waste comes from the use of plastic bags. "Americans use 60,000 plastic bags every 5 seconds."

Here are a couple of my favorite cloth finds. Check your local grocery store for others. Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Roots Market, and Super Fresh all have their own options.

No comments: